Friday, September 4, 2009

Pioneer Girls

Today, in celebration of the high temperature staying under 100 degrees, S and three of her friends (along with my grumbling boys) headed out to Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farms, a living history museum of life in the 1800s. Today the kids got to see a working blacksmith, replicas of Tonkawa shelters, and outhouses, among other less interesting things.

My favorite part of the day was being surrounded by homeschoolers I'd never met. Who knew there were so many homeschoolers running around? I thought I'd met just about everyone, but I guess I was wrong!


The kids at the Tonkawa site.
Right behind them is Walnut Creek.


Pumping water.
Apparently, it takes all four.


In the cotton field.
Man, how did the slaves do it?

______________
If you enjoyed this post, you might like Last Stop ... Terra Cotta Warriors.

1 comment:

  1. How about butter churning? Did they have that too? I can only imagine the life of a pioneer woman... Rough, busy, challenging. A little scary too!

    ReplyDelete