Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Anno's Mysterious Multiplying Jar

This skinny book, Anno's Mysterious Multiplying Jar, is deceptive. It looks like a little-kid book, but it holds a wealth of information. From these 44 pages, my kids learned and understood - in 15 minutes - the basic concept of factorials. It held all three of my children enthralled ... even the oldest, who at the time was 12, and the youngest, who was 8.

The illustrations are luxurious, and the author has a way of explaining math. Anno's books are a delight for the eye and the brain, and if you can find them (many are out of print and sell for big bucks) - any of them - buy them!

_____________
If you liked this post, you might enjoy "Running the Numbers"

4 comments:

  1. I always thought about doing the Anno books, then felt maybe my son was too old for them. Now I'm going to reconsider and really take a look at them next time I visit the library!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I'll see if any are available at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved factorials as a kid. And knew 6! by heart since I was a baby since our house address was 720. My teacher thought I was a genius :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good - we will check it out. Literally. From the library.

    ReplyDelete