Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Mock Day: The Next Day

I love unexpected results. 

When T decided he wanted to try a mock school day yesterday, G didn't want to have a thing to do with it. His determination to homeschool has remained unwavering since we began this journey four years ago. And that mock day was a little too close to the real thing to be comfortable for him.

So today we sat outside on this hot spring day and talked. We talked about his worries about his siblings, his expectations for himself, his perceptions of what my expectations were for him, and what he wanted out of life. 

Yes, we've talked about all these things before, but today they had an immediacy to them that we hadn't experienced in quite a while. S and T were inside reading The Lightning Thief to each other, and I was hanging clothes while we talked, so we had an extended period of meaningful discussion. 

How many parents can say that they have the ability (or desire) to sit and talk at length one-to-one with their almost teen, and do so regularly ... and have it be a truly pleasant and enjoyable experience?

I must be one of the luckiest moms in the world.

Unexpected results. Unexpected pleasures. I'll take 'em.



2 comments:

  1. It is a great feeling to have those heart to heart chats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful, and I sure I hope I have to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete