Tuesday, April 6, 2010

"NurtureShock: New Thinking about Children"

NurtureShock is my new favorite book (at least until my next new favorite). I just recently finished it, and I don't exactly agree whole-heartedly with everything in it, but that's okay.

But here's what I love about it. It doesn't take social wisdom as gospel, and it backs up its statements with research. I'm a self-proclaimed information junkie, so I eat up anything that's supported by numbers.

Case in point: What's the primary cause of obesity in children? Television, obviously.

Wrong. It turns out that kids who are obese don't spend any more time in front of a screen than slim children. Really?

Really.

This book will shake up your ideas of children and raising them.

Want one reason to read the book? After reading the chapter on sleep with my children, they all willing agreed to go to bed without coming up with reasons why they should stay up. They started discussing among themselves the most advantageous bedtime and working out strategies to get everything done before they needed to be winding down.

How's that for a recommendation?

This is along the same lines as Freakonomics, which I enjoyed - but not nearly as much. NurtureShock is likely to have a much larger impact on the way I parent.



2 comments:

  1. I agree! Some of it had me nodding my head in agreement (yeah, I know that!) and some had shocked me and rocked my world. Loved it and sent my copy into the mama world to be shared widely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too. I started this book in Austin and just got it from the library here in Sydney, where I'm finishing it.
    The chapter on sleep had a big impact on our family. And we put a lot of emphasis on getting enough rest before I read the book.

    ReplyDelete